Sigma Rho’s Alpha Chapter, founded in 1892, was the first professional mining fraternity in the United States. We were the first fraternity on the Michigan College of Mines campus (now known as Michigan Technological University), and are one of the oldest fraternities in the United States.
Goals of the fraternity were to "perpetuate a true fraternal spirit among its’ members, thus providing lasting benefits for its’ members while in college and after graduation."
In 1907 our brothers moved into their first fraternity house, located on the grounds of today’s West Wadsworth Hall. "The White House On The Hill" would prove to be their home for half of a century, and was an elegant home for the Sigs. The house stood in the way of expansion, and was sold to the college for the building of the new wing of Wadsworth Hall. From there the fraternity moved to the Worcester Mansion in Chassell, a small town about 7 miles from Houghton.
The old mansion burned to the ground in 1974, and a new house was constructed in its place. The John R. Foster Chapter Room addition was added in 1992. Recent improvements include a new roof in 2000, new windows, siding, facie & soffit in 2003, new interior doors in 2005, and new granite counter tops in the kitchen in 2007. All of these projects have created an ideal place to live and a safe haven for all members to gather away from the bustle of campus.